Three-year-old recovering from alleged cruelty

A three-year-old Eunice boy who Juvenile Officer Ronnie Whaley called the saddest case he has seen is recovering from injuries allegedly suffered at the hands of his mother’s boy friend.


Whaley said the child is in the care of the state while charges are open against Keisha Arvie, 18, and Damian Monday, 21.

The boy, according to Whaley, had a broken right arm and two fractures of the left arm when he was placed in state custody.

Additionally, the child had severely bruised left eye and “numerous old healing breaks and bruises.”

His mother is charged with cruelty to a juvenile and her boyfriend is charged with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile.

Monday was also charged with drug possession charges, firearms charges, possession of drug paraphernalia and probation violation.

The suspects are awaiting formal processing in their cases.

According to Eunice officers, the case is the most startling involving a young child since August 2007, when a couple was accused of placing a hot iron on their two-year-old.

Chance Ceaser, 28, was charged with aggravated second-degree battery and Michelle Ceaser, 22, wa charged with being a principal to that offense.

A year later, in September 2008, Chance Ceaser waived trial by jury and was set for bench trial in November. He subsequently withdrew his not guilty plea and instead pleaded guilty to criminal negligence of a juvenile.

Judge Alonzo Harris sentenced him to five years in prison, suspending the sentence and placing the man on three years active probation and one year in the parish jail, with credit for time served since the arrest.

Chance Ceaser was also sentenced to submit to random drug screens and to attend anger management and parenting classes.

On Dec. 23, 2008, Michelle Ceaser received an early Christmas present when her case was nolle prossed by the District Attorney due to insufficient evidence.

The status of the boy and his three siblings is not a matter of public record.

Follow Us

Subscriber Links